Thursday, February 4, 2010

Why Are All the Black Kids..., The Sports Taboo, & Censoring Myself

Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?

After reading this article, I could definetly relate to it. I could relate to it because all my life the schools that I have went to have been mixed with black and white children. When the author was talking about all the black kids sitting separate from one the white kids, it brought me back to my high school. In my high school there were a vast amount of white and black kids, and event though we all interacted with one another, of course there was always some sort of segregation from one another. My junior year of high school I walked down to the one lunch and noticed most of the black kids were sitting together...so this article reminded me exactly of that moment. I never really thought about how many racial problems start mostly due to puberty, and really growing up and becoming a young man or woman. This definetly makes more sense to why things are why they are.

The Sports Taboo

In the first section of this article, they are trying to take the difference of blacks and whites when it comes to sports. The author is saying how in most cases it is clear that African Americans are faster and known more in some sports, but whites are known just as well in others. Gladwell tries to figure out why people don't just say that blacks and whites are made different, especially when there were studies done that showed some differences. I think that there definetly are some differences when it comes to the differences in the bodies, athletics, and physical appearance. He talked about how you always see blacks winning races more, and it is true. He compares many things between blacks and whites in this article he wrote, but I really don't see the problem with there being differences. I like it because I feel that if we were all the same at everything, no one would be more athletic, smarter, faster, etc. It all makes us who we are and gives us something unique about each and every one of us. And I like that. :)

Censoring Myself

No comments:

Post a Comment